Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Light through the Arches

Light through the Arches
Oil on panel, 11x14
Last September, a dear painting friend and I went out to Unity Village in Lee's Summit to do a little plein air painting.  This is one of the reference shots from that day.  I love the architecture out there - it is like traveling to another country to paint!  The morning sun streaming in through these arches instantly caught my attention.  I love the angles and the curves - all working together with the light and shadow, to tell an inviting and peaceful story.  I used to attend this church as a young girl with my grandma, mom, and brother.  I first sketched this scene on the panel, then applied a detailed underpainting.  Once my values were established, I had some fun with the palette knife.  Not nearly as crazy as yesterday, but enough to add to the texture throughout.  I did have thoughts of trying the fracturing technique on this, but the complexity of the composition persuaded me not to!  I think I will try that technique again tomorrow - on something simple, so I don't get in over my head!  Well, this makes 68 paintings in as many days.  Can't believe I am maintaining this pace.  That, in itself, is a miracle.

12 comments:

  1. Your work is AMAZING, I wish I could do work like that. Absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

    Have a great day!
    Nora

    p.s I went on a little tour on your blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words, Nora! It is so motivating to hear them! Thanks for taking the time to look at my blog. I have talked to the nicest people from Paint Party Friday! So glad I just found it :)

      Delete
  2. So painterly and rich, Tammie.
    This painting is magnificent!
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mary! I may just paint this one in a large size to hang in my living room! Happy PPF to you, too!

      Delete
  3. I'm simply blown away by the fact you can do an 11x14 painting like this in a day. And now I learn that you produce a painting every day. Your work is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Faye! I only started painting every day on January 1st - for a 30 day painting challenge on Leslie Saeta's blog - Slice of Life. I thought it was a wonderful idea - little did I know I would become addicted to it!

      Delete
  4. wow, your paintings are gorgeous! sooo love your landscapes, and there is something intriguing about archways too. just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane! Unity Village - where I painted this, is FULL of gorgeous architecture - and it is a large, sprawling complex. I want to paint many more from this location - it is like painting in Spain here in Missouri!

      Delete
  5. wow your painting is truly awesome, loving it. Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Annette! So nice of you to take the time to comment - they always make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful painting, really beautifully done! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's really gorgeous, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete