Monday, March 11, 2013

Of Grapes and Crystal

Of Grapes and Crystal
Oil on panel, 9x12
Once again, I did not get to start painting until late.  With daylight savings time beginning only last night, it seems doubly late to me!  I had to play catch-up with the housework (never fun!), attend Michael's last basketball game of the season (a real nail biter - still tied after overtime!), and family time filled the rest of the day.  Once I did get started, the going was slow.  I have never painted grapes before - and I had to look at EACH grape to see just where all of the colors landed.  Same thing with those crystal prisms and the cut crystal bowl - it is all painting those reflections to create the objects.  This painting is a collection of favorite things around the house.  The bowl was a "trophy" my oldest son won in a golf tournament, the lamp from a dear friend, the green cabbage dish was a special find while antiquing.  The whole reason I chose this to paint - when I took out the grapes to wash and eat for breakfast, this glorious clump was in the bag!  Instantly, I set up the still life with a sign in front boldly marked, "DO NOT EAT!"  This is the only way to save food to paint around here!  This the painting 66 in 66 days.  I should have painted Route 66 today!

2 comments:

  1. This picture with the mood, I like it very much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Natalie! It was an unusual lighting set up to try and capture. I had the light from the dark, rainy day coming through the window, blended with the glow of the lamp. A little challenging! I'm glad you like it :)

      Delete