Saturday, March 23, 2013

The Winding River

The Winding River
Oil on panel, 8x10
I began this painting en plein air on the banks of the Bennett Spring.  The area is so beautiful, with the spring winding like a snake  through the woods.  It would have been easier to just paint the first bend or two, but the full length of it called to me.  The waters were so green, almost an unnatural dark green, in the deep shade of the trees.  Painting in a location like this seems almost timeless.  This could have been painted 100 years ago, the spring would not have changed.  Every so often, a fish would jump, splashing in the water.  Each morning, a horn would sound, signaling to the fisherman it was time to begin their sport.  I would love to go back when I have more time to explore the state park and surrounding area.  This place is just full of paintings waiting to be painted.  The snow is falling very heavy outside my window as I paint this 79th painting in a row!

8 comments:

  1. Wow this is absolutely exquisite! It feels so magical. I'm glad you painted all the bends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words, Beth! I really love this location - I could paint for ages here! So nice of you to comment :)

      Delete
  2. Oh it looks wonderful very green as you say lovely tree reflections of colour, no wonder you just kept painting it's a lovely perspective Dxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn! I may just paint this one larger to hang in my family room! Just seeing this painting takes me back to the place :)

      Delete
  3. The water looks so green and reflective, lovely work
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue! I had to resist the urge to change up the green - it truly was this color :)

      Delete
  4. Tammie, your painting is so peaceful. There's something about the sound water makes that is so relaxing. I fly fish. I'm not sure there could be trout in your Bennett Spring, but it is a beautiful scene. Thanks for visiting my blog. I truly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Faye! There is indeed trout in this spring! I have some reference photos somewhere of several fisherman fly fishing, walking up and down the length of it in their hip waders! One day, I'll paint them in action :)

      Delete