Friday, April 26, 2013

First Flowering Crab

First Flowering Crab
Oil on panel, 8x10
I started painting this one in the middle of a good rain.  I had dropped off a painting for judging, and Teddy and I had an hour before we were to get back for the results.  So, we set up in a gazebo (for shelter from the rain), on a hill, to paint this glorious crabapple tree.  The rain steadily increased, building up to thunder, as we frantically painted to capture the beauty with our paints.  The wind was blowing the rain in, and my oil palette had water pooling on the surface.  I didn't want to stop.  The thunder didn't sound close.......in times like this, my logical self steps aside, letting my creative self take over.  An hour later, we had to pack up and get back for the social - which was fabulous!  It is never easy to leave a painting when I'm in the zone.  I returned to this today, to add the final touches.  This makes 113 paintings in 113 days.  Come see the show tomorrow at Mount Pleasant Winery - if you happen to be near Augusta, Missouri :)

No comments:

Post a Comment