Wednesday, June 5, 2013

A Father's Love

A Father's Love
Graphite on bristol, 16x20
sold
Once in a while, I will be given a photo to work from that completely takes my breath away.  This is such a piece.  From the moment I first saw it, I knew this one could really be amazing.  The light was perfect, a single moment in time captured flawlessly, and such a peaceful, tender moment between father and baby!  With graphite portraits, I often work in stages.  Especially with this one, it took time and patience to get all of the angles just right.  At each step, I would set it up on a separate easel (as I am constantly painting on my normal one), and live with it - to see what needed my attention.  Tonight, I will let it rest.  I will look it over in the morning with "fresh eyes" - just to make sure it is finished.  I love this intimate scene.  I have truly loved working on it.  Nothing is as grounding to me as putting pencil to paper.  It is such a true representation of fatherhood.  This is my 153rd artwork in 153 days (although this has been in progress for many days!).  I think this is one of my all time favorites :)

7 comments:

  1. OMG this is the sweetest thing! Lovely!
    Congrats on your 153!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply beautifully executed. I am sure whomever bought it just adores it. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such a touching and beautiful piece of art. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is really lovely and special... you should be happy with it...you have captured the mood of it so beautifully...xx

    ReplyDelete