Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Hydrangea Impressions

Hydrangea Impressions
Oil on panel, 6x6
All over town, these beautiful blue hydrangeas are beginning to bloom. Right outside my kitchen window, my own little beauties are stretching towards the sky.  I love these flowers, they have always been one of my favorites.  I was tempted to paint these in a larger format, but with all I had on my plate today, my logical side won out.  So, painting small at 6x6, I first sketched this out with pastels.  Using a rather large brush, I blocked in all the masses, and started to define the petals in a light and loose fashion.  Originally, I intended to paint more of the glass vase, a view a little zoomed out.  But, as it progressed, I found that I wanted a closer vantage, a bit more drama.  So, here we have the 167th painting in 167 days.  I'm feeling a little restless for new subjects.....

8 comments:

  1. I so admire those who can make a paintbrush do things like this. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful hydrangea! Wow!
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, so soft and lovely! And 167 in 167, wowsa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammie, what discipline 167 in 167 days! And each one I have seen is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - 167 paintings - that is so disciplined. This painting is just loose and gorgeous. HPPF

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some hydrangeas outside my kitchen window too...but they tend to be more purple!! Beautiful painting!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love hydrangeas and have been doing some drawings of them this week which has been challenging but fun... but these are fabulous brushstrokes... you have captured them perfectly...xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh this is so gorgeous!! I love hydrangeas too. I have a bush that produces pink flowers but mine bloom late summer here so I'm still waiting :)

    ReplyDelete