Friday, June 7, 2013

Night at the Dragon Inn

Night at the Dragon Inn
Oil over acrylic on panel
Old Town Overland Park
I am posting late tonight, as it has been a very busy day - ending with a late baseball game.  This painting is from old town Overland Park, Kansas.  The reference photos were taken after I had finished up another nocturne, and the lights were still on here.  This is an Overland Park icon - and I have wanted to paint it for years!  This sky was very, very dark - rain was just starting.  The streetlights illuminated the buildings even more than usual against such a sky.  There was still the delicious aroma of late night dinners in the air, and I wish I had been able to set up and paint on the spot.  But, framing yet-to-do and a sunrise paint-out reigned me in.  I find that I really do enjoy painting these nocturnes.  There is something so still and quiet in the night, it makes painting so inviting.  This is the 154th painting in as many days and I'd better get to bed.  I am watching the grandbabies in the morning!

1 comment: