Friday, July 12, 2013

By the Window - pencil study

By the Window
Red pencil on tinted mi-teintes paper
I almost never use a waxy, colored pencil.  I don't care for the way they resist blending, and I have to use very different techniques with them.  But, I do LOVE the colors at my beck and call!  The vintage mood I can achieve with these waxy sticks is worth the extra trouble.  This drawing is a study for a painting I soon hope to start.  I first went to my tinted charcoals, but there is no venetian red color - not even close.  With the buttery ochre paper, I really wanted to use none other than venetian red.  So, waxy drawing pencil it was!  The tooth of the paper is also quite large, which is not nearly as noticeable when using graphite or charcoal.  Sometimes, I get a feeling of excitement for things yet unseen, while working on a piece.  I have felt that all through the process on this one.  I want to paint it a bit larger, so I will have to wait for a day with a few hours of working time to start.  This is actually my second work of the day.  I did a small oil painting of geraniums and marigolds in the front bed.  Once done, I decided I wasn't happy with it - so I started on this tonight.  Maybe I can fix it up for tomorrow's posting.  With an afternoon party by the pool tomorrow, I will not have much painting time!  This is artwork number 190 in as many days.

4 comments:

  1. Wow!!! This is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello,
    this is lovely
    your palette of colors is wonderful too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this girl looks like a girlfriend of my son in laws brother...her name is Alisha...even the body is the same..the hair and features...it's shockingly similar... Beautiful work, you are so prolific!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete