Sunday, July 14, 2013

Rose of Sharon

Rose of Sharon
Oil on panel, 12x9
In the last few days, the rose of sharons all around my yard have burst into glorious bloom.  Petals of white, lavender and pink have opened in profusion.  After the day's work  (and an extra long work-out) had been completed, I slipped into the luxury of the refreshing pool.  As I floated lazily on my raft, my eyes were drawn again and again by this beautiful bush.  Why have I never painted one before?  The large blooms are so stunning!  They go hand in hand with summer gatherings and the Fourth of July.  Each one is either a start from my grandmother's original two bushes, or from our "Grandma Rural" - as the kids called our neighbor from years ago.  I remember playing around them when I was very small - such sweet memories!  I love these beautiful flowers, and now I have put them to panel in paint.  This is painting number 192 in as many days.

1 comment: