Sunday, July 7, 2013

Suzie and the Pony

Suzie and the Pony
Tinted graphite on bristol - vellum
not for sale
I drew this from an old photograph given to me by my husband's parents.  It is of his older sister, Suzie, and their pony named Stony.  With this drawing, I am playing with tinted graphite.  They come in a handful of colors, all weakened as they are simply tinting the graphite. I normally use mainly 8B, and these are definitely harder.  I love the soft color they give the subjects, vintage in a way.  The tinted graphites are very tight in their application - and have quite a bit of color, where the tinted charcoals are loose and the natural darkness of the charcoal overpowers the little bit of tint in the color.  They are both fun to play with - sometimes you just have to shake things up.  I have another painting half done, and a second sketched out.  Maybe this week I can get ahead a little (instead of finishing at the 11th hour every day!).  I've picked out a portrait of one of my grandsons to paint tomorrow.......unless I change my mind over night!  This makes 185 days of artwork.

1 comment: