Monday, August 5, 2013

Bailey's Harbor

Bailey's Harbor
Door County, Wisconsin
Oil on panel, 6x8
The view from this pier in Bailey's Harbor, Wisconsin, was breath-taking.  The winds grew stronger the further out I walked.  There was only one tiny spot with shade -  a couple of short trees, from which to paint under.  Sometimes, I have to just take reference photos to use at a later date.  This is one such place.  The breeze off Lake Michigan was always cold, making the temperature feel much cooler than it should have.  Keeping extra jackets in the car is always a good idea for the plein air painter - it saved me in Wisconsin!  On one day, I had put all four of my jackets on - just to stay warm enough to paint in the cold, damp wind.  This landscape was picturesque with it's flowing beaches dotted with houses.  Bailey's Harbor is a quiet little town off the eastern side of the Door County peninsula.  It was also the closest place I could go for internet while staying at Kangaroo Lake!  This is painting number 214 in as many days.

No comments:

Post a Comment