Saturday, August 31, 2013

Watering the Horses

Watering the Horses
Oil on panel, 12x6
Civil War Reenactment
When priming panels, I got a little carried away with the paint.  I like to mix my own acrylic tints, and I was experimenting with burnt sienna and dairylide yellow.  First coat was a little too fleshy, so I poured a little paint directly on the panel - and it was pretty strong!  You can see plenty of the color popping through the greens!  When I started, I was fighting the strong color a bit.  It was harder to see what I was doing, and harder to gauge my values accordingly.  But, as I worked, I found that the energy that was coming through as a result was pretty fun!  This is another painting from the civil war reenactment, and in this one the men are watering their horses at an old pump that has been here forever.  I can remember playing with this pump as a child, making the water fill buckets - to toss at my little brother!  Getting ready for another sleepover birthday party - so I have to get back to work - painting number 240 in as many days :)

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful paintings here! I love all the bits of color showing through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kat! It was fun using the new underpainting color! I think I see more of these in my future :)

      Delete
  2. wow fantastic and extremely accomplished art work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you really done 240 consecutive paintings--OMG?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! The colours are beautiful, it looks great with the red together with the greens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! 240 in 240 days!! Congratulations!
    This really is full of wonderful energy with its complementary reds and greens!
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Civil War enactment painting is simply amazing. I had to stop and show this to my dh because it is so hard to imagine you doing 240 of this magnitude in 240 days. It is far past just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful brushstrokes and great composition! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete