Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Lazy Susans

Lazy Susans
Oil on panel, 6x12
I planted two new varieties of black-eyed susans in the front flower bed this spring.  I love the way they just look bigger and prettier the later in the season it gets.  This rudbeckia is particularly large flowered, and has held it's own against the constant onslaught from the kittens.  Those kittens have mashed down half the potted flowers and have yanked off countless blooms in their "play"!  My mom and grandma have always called these "lazy susans" - I don't think I ever heard the term "black-eyed susans"until I read it in a book.  This painting is my 251st in 251 days, and Day 11 of the 30 day painting challenge.  Now, I am going out to enjoy this hot day by the pool.  After all, these hot days can't last forever!


8 comments:

  1. I love the colours you chose here! This is so elegant and beautiful, I love Lazy Susans, I can 'relate' to them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful palette you have going here! Love the painting. My Uncle Chester used to take particular delight in calling these "Black-eyed Suzies" ... I can hear him laughing about it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jim! I have never heard someone call them black-eyed suzies! My mom's name is Suzanne - she would love that name!

      Delete
  3. Your Lazy Susans are lovely, but I especially like the light that is captured here. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nice, long format to accentuate the beauty of the tall flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! The long format just added drama to these "plain Janes" :)

      Delete