Thursday, September 5, 2013

To Lead a Horse

To Lead a Horse
Oil on panel, 12x6
Civil War Reenactment

This past month, I have been concentrating on figure work - both of man and horse.  I love the way the light shines on the animal's form.  The reenactment has given me so many great reference photos to paint from!  Next time, I will try to get them to take the horses down to the pond.  Imagine how lovely these creatures would be reflecting in the water's surface!  I've been painting quite a few panels cut to 12x6 - and I really like the format!  It is wonderful for a panoramic composition, and just seems to make the painting more dramatic than the standard sizes.  Since I have finished with my painting a little early today, I am actually going to go get some panels cut!  I am down to bare bones on my panel selection, and it is way past time for me to do this.  Since I have some plein air events coming up, I really must take care of this so I can be well prepared for whatever scene unfolds before me.  This is painting number 245 in as many days, and Day 5 for Leslie Saeta's 30 day painting challenge.

1 comment:

  1. You did an amazing job of making the horse appear as if it is moving. love the way the light is hitting everything. very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete