Friday, October 4, 2013

For a Song

For a Song
9x12
I started a large painting of this image some time ago.  I was working in acrylics at the time, and the background was a very dark criss-cross underpainting.  I had bought some new acrylics - which I wanted to work with on the next step, and I just didn't get to it.  So, when I knew I would need to get some reference material together for an extended trip from home, this was one that I wanted to work on.  Using this as a study, I am playing around!  All of the pencils I use regularly are watersoluable - which means I can simply take a brush to any areas and move it around with a little water - as long as I don't spray it with a fixative.  This is a little crazy, but my youngest daughter likes my crazy work - and this one is for her!  Working on this gives me some fun new things to try on the large painting that I fizzled out on.  Sometimes, all I need to do is change things up a bit to get excited about a piece that has grown stagnant.  This wild and crazy piece is my 274th one in 274 days.  Perhaps I will work ahead for tomorrow - as I may well be on the road all day!

18 comments:

  1. I really like this!!! I love working with water soluble pencils too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol! After trying the watersoluables for the first time years ago - I never went back to just plain pencils!

      Delete
  2. I love the movement that the water adds to the piece. It doesn't seem so crazy to me, but then I draw cartoons most of the time.... really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I think cartoons are hard to do - kudos for you for being able to draw them!

      Delete
  3. Tammie, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I am sure you can paint the most beautiful pillow looking at your wonderful talent! Wow~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deneen! I was telling my sorority sisters about your pillow project last night :)

      Delete
  4. It doesn't look crazy to me at all! :-)
    Great effect of the water and pencil! I really like pencil drawings a lot.
    And thank you for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the subtleness of this beautiful painting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful! I love the effect you've created here. Very cool looking. And a lovely image too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It is fun trying out new things :)

      Delete
  7. beautiful and sensitive artwork. Happy PPF, Annette x
    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, love your illustration, very romantic and sensitive as Netty said. Gorgeous!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Netty and Enejy :)

      Delete
  8. so beautiful... and way too late commenting... I think a week is a new record for me, but this is too stunning not to comment on... amazing...xx

    ReplyDelete