Thursday, November 7, 2013

Autumn Pin Oak

Autumn Pin Oak
Oil on panel, 8x10
"Looking Out My Front Door" Contest
When I read about the "Looking Out My Front Door" contest, I went out in search of the perfect composition.  Wishing I had 200 feet from the door to work with, I instead had to stick with the 50 given as the rule.  This pin oak is one of a dozen we bought and planted 25 years ago.  These beauties have grown straight as arrows, and their colors vary from gold to red this autumn season.  This one is at the southwest corner of the front yard, backed right up against the south pasture.  Today, I am letting loose with the impressionistic strokes - first with brushes, following with my new friend, the palette knife. The paint is thick and juicy on this one - and it is so fun to apply it with such reckless abandon!  This day was another start and stop painting day - oh how I wish I could start and finish at one sitting!  This is painting number 305 in 305 days.  I may just paint the grand old oak that my grandma planted tomorrow - now THAT is one glorious oak!

25 comments:

  1. Oh so beautiful, I love the movement in this painting - just stunning

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tree is wonderful, I can feel the leaves fluttering down. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Our strong winds today are sure blowing the leaves off the trees in a hurry!

      Delete
  3. That is BEAUTIFUL I really like this a lot
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  4. The light, colors and graceful shapes are all so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Debbie! I was really trying to capture the unique lighting of the day!

      Delete
  5. Tammie everything about this is truly beautiful. And that you planted it 25 years ago makes it even more special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ginny! Its funny, but 25 years ago feels like just yesterday :)

      Delete
  6. Incredibly beautiful..I love the softness and serene atmosphere.. and the energy dancing in the light-filled leaves..so delicate and glowing..beautiful colors..magical! What a magnificent painting...
    always a treat visiting you..such talent!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your autumn pin oak painting is fabulous. I love the fall colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Faye! I just love painting the fall colors :)

      Delete
  8. You use those loose strokes so beautifully to create a tree with both delicateness and energy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful shades of autumn in this lovely painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just love capturing the autumn leaves - too soon they are gone!

      Delete
  10. truly beautiful! I love the texture of your brushstrokes...happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dianne - I used the palette knife quite a bit on this one :)

      Delete
  11. The autumn is really a beautiful and colorful time and you have captured it so good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. gorgeous autumnal tree, so striking and wonderfully painted.

    ReplyDelete