Monday, November 11, 2013

Cabin in the San Juan Mountains

Cabin in the San Juan Mountains
Oil on panel, 6x6
San Juan Mountain Range, Colorado
Trying to get some 6x6's painted for the upcoming Randy Higbee Show, I found myself pouring through photos, looking for a composition that would "wow" in the small, square format.  I found the reference photos I took while on my way back from Pagosa Springs, Colorado, and decided these would make wonderful subject matter.  The San Juan Mountain range is so beautiful, and the clouds changed constantly - swiftly moving across the sky.  I was able to snap such a wide variety of cloudscapes, and I am only now beginning to appreciate them.  I think the key to making these clouds work, is simply trying to see all of the colors they contain.  They are so much more than white.  Painting number 309 in 309 days :)

3 comments:

  1. Amazing how much detail you get on such a small canvas. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautifully composed painting, and the gorgeous clouds add, for me, a touch of coldness in the feel of the weather in the picture. What a lonesome cabin - someone must live, or have lived, there and it must have been such a lonely isolated place.

    ReplyDelete