Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Glow at Chimney Rock

Glow at Chimney Rock
Oil on panel, 6x6
Colorado
While in Colorado, we took a side trip over to Durango.  Not far outside of Pagosa Springs, this beautiful monument is on the San Juan National Forest land.  Chimney Rock was the ancestral home to the Peublo people 1000 years ago.  The rock formation is spiritually important to them, their ancestors using the rock to view "lunar standstills" between the two pillars of the rock, occurring every 18.6 years.  Still working on capturing clouds in all their glory, I am working on the sunset glow today.  I am using my artistic license on the lighting, as my reference photos were taken during dismal light.  This painting makes 310 in 310 days, and I wish I could paint all day.....but I have commissions, and paintings to get ready for a couple of shows.....so back to work I go :)

6 comments:

  1. So beautiful .... Interesting story behind it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm always interested in the history of places I visit and paint. Somehow, it brings it to life for me :)

      Delete
  2. I really like the colours in this one, with the blues and oranges. A gorgeous scene. 310 paintings in 310 days!! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tammy. Thank you so much for you compliment on my art. It means a lot coming from you. Your art is so amazing and touches souls.
    Have a great week
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful comment! Thank you so much for the kind words - who could wish for more? :)

      Delete