Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Fairy House

Fairy House
Oil on glass, 9x12
print available here
Today I have tried something completely new - painting on glass!  I was brought an old 6 pane window to paint, each panel a part of a larger scene.  I drew out my sketch, keeping in mind the big picture, and started laying down paint.  It wouldn't stick!  It slid all around giving me a buttery mess.  I hadn't even thought about applying gesso first, but it was the only option I had.  So, I wiped the painting completely off, so I could prime the glass with gesso. It was so much easier to apply the paint.  There is no texture to work with, but at least the gessoed surface will pull the paint off my brush.  This subject matter is completely new as well!  I can't just go out in the field and paint this scene from life, thus my imagination has full reign now.  Once I get all 6 completed, I will probably need to adjust them, "marrying" the colors just a bit.  As the paint dries a bit, I will also go in and add a few strokes to define the faces better...or I may just leave them loose.  I'll cross that bridge when I get there!  Painting number 387 in 387 days and day 22 in the 30 day painting challenge.  It is harder to just pull this stuff out of my head!

4 comments:

  1. My goodness, so charming! Beautiful color and idyllic little scene. Wonderful idea with the window panes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see the window finished! Love this picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammie this is so magical, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this so much ! had to Pinterest it !

    ReplyDelete