Thursday, January 23, 2014

Fairy Swing

Fairy Swing
Oil on glass, 9x12
print available here
This is my second day of painting in a fairy land!  It is a curious thing to just let the image evolve.  I have a simple sketch as a guideline, but each little part painted in seems to call for another thing....and so the painting grows.  I added onto yesterday's painting, as this one progressed, feeling the need to tie the two together.  When all six are finished, I will load the finished images with their little additions.  I wonder how long it will take the paint to dry on such a surface.  This one too, is primed with gesso.  I primed them all after the mishap of the first day.  And, as I worked these sunflowers, I also worked others that are in the adjoining panels.  In fact, I have applied paint to all six, working from the top down - stems of sunflowers, lower trunk of tree and phlox which I have added to the two sides.  This is such a challenge for me, not at all my regular plein air painting!  Learning to control the paint on such a surface is also challenging.  I reached for my palette knife - and had scratched right down to the glass with the first stroke.  Knives are a no-no on glass!  This second part of a series of 6 is my 388th painting in a row, and day 23 of the 30 day painting challenge.

2 comments: