Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Old Farm Truck

Old Farm Truck
Oil on panel, 10x8
While out shopping with my oldest daughter, we drove by the old barn north of the Dean Farm - and the light was perfect!  Golden light hit the old truck parked within - and had me turning on a dime to capture the moment with my camera!  My kids are used to me seeing absolutely gorgeous shots - and having to stop immediately.  They may even think that every mom behaves in such a way!  The bonus here is the calico cat that was parked on the tire.  This painting was complicated as I tried to work all the reflective colors into the whole.  I first started with the main block in, fighting against my normal inclination to keep every line sharp and straight.  I wanted it to be more painterly than that.  Softening edges, I worked in complimentary colors to give it life.  After pushing and pulling the paints, I feel like this is a good representation of the place.  I gave this a lot of time today, more than I really had - but it demanded my time.  Sometimes I am at the mercy of the work, it simply will not let me go.  I'm not quite sure if I am finished yet, but I am going to let it rest for tonight.  I'll look again with fresh eyes in the morning, to see if anything jumps out at me.  This one makes the 380th painting in as many days and Day 15 in the 30 day painting challenge.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tammie, I can so relate to being "at the mercy of the work"! You're doing a good job of keeping the work painterly ... that's my ideal too, but quite the struggle sometimes.

    ReplyDelete