Saturday, January 11, 2014

Path to the Old Barn

Path to the Old Barn
Oil on panel, 6x6, palette knife
I have taken so many wonderful photos during my journeys - I will never be able to paint them all.  I have a love for old barns, having played in them as a child at my grandparent's and my great uncle's farms.  There is nothing more fun for a child than to explore through old barns!  For this painting, I have once again used my palette knife.  I started with a 6x6 wood panel that I had previously primed with an orange color.  You can see some of it peeking throughout - especially in the sky.  I really like the texture that a knife leaves behind - the trick being to lightly skim the new paint over the previous layer.  I just can't get that look with a brush alone.  It is harder to wield the knife in small areas, and I wonder if I could master a portrait with just that tool. Painting number 376 in 376 days and Day 11 in the 30 day painting challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Tammie this is rich and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh those old barns..I remember ;) Your painting ist so beautiful and it shows your love to this wonderful place on earth :) ♥ Conny
    Piaroms Art Journaling

    ReplyDelete