Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Exploring Fingers

Exploring Fingers
Graphite on Bristol, 9x12
Picking up my pencils again is like returning to an old friend.  Each stroke soothing and comforting.  Smudging out the skin tones, and using the rolled tortillions to blend, acts like a balm to my spirit.  I can remember the small cardboard box of old wooden pencils waiting for me at my Grandma'a house.  Sitting at a child's desk in the kitchen by a north facing window, the space seemed set up just for me.  I never failed to sift through the little box, choosing my tools carefully.  Inside the desk, there was always paper and a Big Chief tablet at my disposal.  It didn't matter what I drew, Grandma loved it all!  I still remember the absolute joy I felt whenever I created.  When I pick up a pencil now, all those memories return.  Even the smell of the old paper and the wood from the pencils.  This is a good place to go for a little art therapy.  I can control my pencils when I cannot control the circumstances around me.  Today was not so good for my dad, he has been confused the whole day.  Still in the ICU, I am praying for improvement with the coming day.  This makes artwork number 415 in as many days.

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful sketch Tammie, hope your father recovers soon. God Bless. Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! The hair looks amazing! Hope hope your dad starts feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet this little guy is. I love the curls! Well done!

    I hope your dad improves soon. It is always sad to see someone we love, who we once saw as strong, weakened!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh - he is so incredibly cute! And you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful sketch and wonderful memories. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute...LOVELY :)
    Deepa
    http://deepazworld.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exquisite art!! Beautiful! Sublime blending and shading! me too I love those rollled tortillons..they can bring a drawing to another realm! It is wonderful drawing brings you back...I relate ..me and my siblings spent our whole childhood with pencil in hand and sketching!
    Thinking of you and your dad..wishing you comfort and love!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  8. So adorable, with those little hands and curls. Best wishes for your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. he is positively adorable! You have such immense talent in both color and charcoal Tammie. I love how you shaded all the folds in his clothes, the curls in his hair- and down to those impossibly cute dimples on his chubby little hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope your father gets better soon. Your sketch is so precious. She looks beautiful and thank you so much for sharing your childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully executed drawing of this child from an unusual angle. I love the squeezable look this little one has. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just gorgeous! And sending prayers for your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry about your dad - I'm glad you have a "place" to go to soothe your troubled soul. Just a fabulous drawing - the pencils are indeed your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jist a wonderful drawing of this sweet child! I hope you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, your art is amazing! The shading, detail and composition, totally gorgeous work! Beautiful post Tammie and I wish your father well.
    Annabelle : )

    ReplyDelete