Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Frozen Creek

Frozen Creek
Oil on panel, 10x8
This wintry landscape is close to home, and a place I have visited many times.  I have never attempted a completely frozen body of water, and this was my chance!  Using my brushes first, I blocked in all the values, finally finishing with my palette knife.  I forget how much I like the knife, until I pick it back up!  I also went back to prussian blue for this one, lending a moodiness to the cold.  I rarely paint over a previous painting, but I did on this one.  Under this frozen creek is a lackluster spring lake scene from years ago.  Since I am running out of panels - and snowed in - I thought, why not?  Painting number 401 in as many days :)

1 comment:

  1. This is so beautiful and reminds me of winters in Germany.

    ReplyDelete