Thursday, February 27, 2014

Martice

Martice
Oil on panel, 11x14
This young lady was simply a delight to paint today!  She is just as sweet as can be, and was so patient as we constantly tried to talk her into ignoring her breaks.  Today's focus was temperature, so I kept this in mind as I worked.  Her hair was amazing - with cool light and cooler light reflecting from two separate sources, one more blue, the other pushing lavender.  The skin was truly a challenge.  I found myself seeing one color, looking more intently to see the others.  So much of the life of the painting is accurately seeing all the colors.  With each day, I am seeing more color temperature variations.  Just as with plein air painting outdoors, I can see many more colors when painting from life than I could from a photo.  It never ceases to amaze me.  I am really having fun with this workshop, really trying to push myself to explore the figure and portrait work, and paint more sensitively.  I brought this one home and worked on it a bit more, wanting to capture her sweet, gentle spirit with the oils.  The color is a bit off due to the nighttime lighting, so I'll try to take a better photo tomorrow. Painting number 423 in as many days :)

I can hardly believe that I have been selected as a featured artist in an article by the Missouri Arts Council titled Snapshots of the Missouri Arts Blogosphere!  This is SO exciting!  What an honor it is to mentioned with such amazing artists across the state!  Please go check out the article - there are some wonderful artists and their blogs mentioned.  You just might find a new favorite blog to follow!

15 comments:

  1. Love it! Love the warmth of the painting and how the light illuminates her expression. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful portrait. I like how you captured her eyes. Gorgeous piece, Tammie. Huge congrats on the feature, very well deserved!!!!

    http://agagasiniak.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow I seriously love your work Tammie, so fab. Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful portrait. Soft, sweet , and really captures that. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful portrait, and so interesting to read your experience with studying the colour temperature. You will make me look more deeply and carefully in future, so thank you. Your rendering of the skin tones and her hair is marvellous, and the background suits it all so well. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such gorgeous portrait....I love the whole composition and it was like Jez said wonderful to hear you speak about the temperature of the color! What a patient subject!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on being picked as a featured artist! This painting is gorgeous - she looks so serene.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are an amazing artist and so deserve the attention and accolades-congratulations Tammie!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is an amazing portrait - love the way the light falls on her

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well you really did a wonderful job on the temp of the painting. What a neat way to work. Love the colors sooo much! Thanks for sharing!!

    Happy Paint Party Friday!
    I'm late...Happy Saturday!
    Tam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tammie,
    Your painting of Martice is stunning. The shading is truly exquisite and refined, you can see the temperature tones , gorgeous work! Congrats on the feature, well deserved for such an amazing artist!

    Annabelle : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think Martice is my favorite of your weeklong portrait/real life painting class. The golden glow of the background is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tammie this is absolutely beautiful.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a so wonderful portrait, Tammie.

    ReplyDelete