Friday, February 28, 2014

Melanie

Melanie
Oil on panel, 11x14
sold
This was the final day of the five day portrait and figure workshop.  Today's focus was color, and how to lay in the most intense color right after the lightest light and darkest dark when first starting the block in.  This allows you to easily work all values within this range, keeping the most intense color in it's place.  Melanie was a wonderful model, and this was my first time to paint her this week.  We have had two models each day, each in a different room, with the artists choosing one room or the other to set up in.  Sometimes it is just a matter of where there is room left for an easel!  With each day, I find the lights and darks easier to place.  The warm and cool areas emerge naturally when looking at the model.  The models under cool light have warm shadows.  This week has truly been eye opening.  I didn't think I could do this kind of work, and I had never tried painting people from life.  I love the whole experience- it is challenging and invigorating at the same time!  It really makes me wonder what else is out there, that I truly love to do, that I have never even tried.  Life is plum full of open doors.  Painting number 424 in as many days.  With this workshop now behind me, what will I paint tomorrow?

2 comments:

  1. I love your portrait of Melanie. She is just beautiful. You've done a great job with the shadowing. Oil are hard to work with, but you have done a wonderful job.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really wonderful portrait! You have a beautiful style!

    ReplyDelete