Saturday, February 8, 2014

Old Fashioned Poppies

Old Fashioned Poppies
Oil on canvas on panel, 8x10
I truly despise cold weather.  In fact, I simply could not live north of Missouri!  I don't know how my "mountain" friends do it.  I grow weary of the dark and dismal snow cover, so today - I choose something from my summer garden!  Poppies are one kind of flower that my grandmother did not have.  I had tried many times to get a start that would survive the harsh winter, to no avail.  One year, I noticed the wonderful bed of poppies in a friend's yard just down the road, and she offered me a start.  her grandmother had planted them on the spot perhaps 40 years earlier.  My grandmother very likely admired them from the road as she drove by.  Once planted, that variety has thrived in my front bed, and I've even moved some out along the fence.  For ten years now - their vibrant colors absolutely sing from the garden each May!  I'm so glad I finally found the perfect poppy for my garden.  I have squeezed this painting in between an amazing basketball game with Michael the scoring king, and a robotics tournament for Michaela, which Michael is helping with.  Almost time to pick them up - I am no longer snowed in!  Painting number 404 in as many days.

17 comments:

  1. What beautiful poppies. I haven't seen the red ones growing around here. I've seen the icelandic poppies and the CA poppies (fitting since this is CA), but not the red ones. Your painting is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammie I love this bright colorful painting, such beautiful poppies! I also love all your snowy wintery art, I love snow and winter so they greatly appeal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is something so special about Poppies and your painting reveals all that is special.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love poppies and these ones have brightened my grey day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful painting, poppies are wonderful flowers! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving your latest painting, there is nothing so beautiful as poppies, in the season we have fields full of them and they are a joy to see. Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. The poppies sing to my soul - I do not like winter either - and have been blessed to live in Beaufort SC for the past 3 years (after many many years in NYC area)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful poppies and wonderful painting technique! I'd say there's quite a lot of us wishing we weren't living in snow right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful flowers! The painting looks fresh and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tammy, this is exquisite! I can almost breath in the sweet spring air!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your free strokes and contrasting colour choices! Thanks for the colour on these grey winter days!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Tammie I can't stop looking at this stunning painting!! Oriental red poppies are my favorite flower and I am lucky my neighbors have some. Every year I have to take a few pics and visit them so long as they are in bloom:) And I am so with you about the winter-if only I could convince hubby to move further south...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous...many a snowy home could use a punch of your art hanging in a room to perk them up!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  14. That beautiful poppies! and I like the loose and free labor. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your poppy painting is so awesome. Love...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Poppies are beautiful.
    They make me think of summer fields filled with their happy warm colour.

    Annabelle : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. i needed this spot of sunshine!! i'm tired of winter, too.

    in summer, i grow poppies, too. just so i can paint them!! happy PPF

    ReplyDelete