Sunday, February 9, 2014

Wine and Wedding Cake

Wine and Wedding Cake
Oil on panel, 8x10
Back in December, we attended my cousin's wedding down in Springfield.  We had such a good time, with so much of the family together to celebrate.  During the reception, my youngest daughter took this photo with my phone, posting to facebook a clever little phrase about my empty wine glass!  I've looked back at the photo several times, really loving the pink and red light radiating from the dance floor - capturing the mood.  My parents and I had all stepped away from our places - maybe we were on the dance floor or getting some cousin photos in.  So, today, I paint something different from my "normal" style.  I don't know if I've ever painted wine glasses before, so these may be the first.  I started with a midnight blue underpainting, sketching in with hard stick pastels (as usual).  I next moved to placing the reds, pinks and whites, pulling some of this color into the darks.  I'm going to let this one rest for now, and revisit it in the morning with fresh eyes.  I feel like I may need to break up some of those hard lines and add a little more white.  Painting number 405 in as many days, and it is snowing again!  Maybe I'll go back to painting snow tomorrow.......

No comments:

Post a Comment