Monday, March 24, 2014

Back in the Saddle

Back in the Saddle
Charcoal on pastel paper, 9x11
Drawing again from reference photos I took during our civil war reenactment, this is one of the soldiers (Chris Stockton) riding with Quantrill on their way to Lawrence.  This old charcoal medium lends itself well to these historic renderings.  I am using the powdered charcoal for most of the background work and the early shading on the horse.  For tight areas, I have used a charcoal pencil and small paper tortillions dipped in the charcoal for applying the powder exactly where needed.  I have always preferred graphite for these drawings, largely because of the very refined finish I can achieve with it.  But, as I work with this darker, messier medium, I find I like the earthy coarseness of it.  It somehow adds a rawness and deep dark shading that graphite could never reach.  I also used a color of pastel paper that has an aged look to it, almost a pinkish tan - and I like it.  I toyed with using a sepia tinted charcoal pencil, but decided against it as the powder would simply not match (and I am still playing with my new supplies!).  This drawing makes 449 pieces if art in 449 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment