Thursday, March 20, 2014

Michaela

Michaela
oil on panel, 8x10
This was such a busy day!  Starting with switching out art this morning, right to Zumba and piyo classes, and then to a day of shopping for a prom dress at the mall!  By the time I finally returned home, I didn't know what to paint.  I missed a plein air paint in the Jazz District, and returned home too late to make figure drawing.   I looked through some reference material, and since I have been studying portrait and figure work - I thought I would try my hand on another painting of my daughter.  (I think she is getting a little tired of me using her for a model...)  My focus on this one is attention to the colors of the planes of the skin, softening and diffusing the farther from the face.  I'm trying to accurately portray the hues that I see, concentrating on REALLY looking at the skin tones.  There is so much to this portrait painting! There are so many nuances of skin, it is all painting the light and how it falls on each plane. I worked a little longer on this one than I normally do on a daily paint, but that study time is time well spent - each stroke a lesson learned. This painting makes 445 in as many days.

13 comments:

  1. She's beautiful and you've captured that perfectly!!! ♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning, Tammie. I so much admire your talent. If these are done in oils, then you must have a houseful of drying paintings with 445 in as many days. Does your beautiful daughter get to keep the ones you do of her?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally beautiful portrait. Everything you paint is of the highest quality. Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammie,

    Visiting here is like walking into art museum, such mastery of work!
    Your daughter is going to treasure this forever.

    Annabelle ~m..m~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again a great, beautiful, perfect portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. stunning Tammie- your shading and lighting is really incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow - this is awesome work!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Happy PPF,
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning portrait with amazing shadows...this is such a great work of art!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, I thought at first this was a photo of your daughter! Stunning work! You've captured the tenderness and coloring of skin so skilfully, her pose is stunning and she seems to be such a beautiful girl!
    Amazing, leaves me speechless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful. I love the pose and the skin tones and everything about it.
    xo

    ReplyDelete