Monday, March 10, 2014

Spring Crocus

Spring Crocus
Oil on panel, 6x6
Possibly, the first blooms of spring, these purple crocus are popping up thickly in my flower beds!  Among them are yellow and white crocus, but the purple are always the earliest to bloom.  What a gorgeous day - it is nearly 70, and the windows are open to let all of the fresh spring air into the house!  Using a pumpkin tinted panel, I sketched out my crocus composition with a pastel stick.  First painting the darks, followed by the lights, I then painted on the most purple of petals - pulling out my dioxazine purple for these babies!  There are a few shades that I only pull out when painting certain flowers - and this is one of them.  It is simply the perfect hue for this flower!  Well, now it is time for some yard work - you know, the whole "making hay while the sun shines" motto!  Painting number 434 in as many days.  What will I paint tomorrow?

2 comments: