Monday, May 19, 2014

Beneath the Sycamore

Beneath the Sycamore
Oil on panel, 12x9
Penn Valley Plein Air Fest
Buttonwood Art Space, Kansas City, MO
I arrived early for the Firefighter Memorial paint-out.  Having already picked my location for the quick paint, I still had too much time left to waste.  Nyle Gordon was talking about doing a light and shadow study - and I was in!  We set up looking towards this beautiful sycamore, with 45 minutes to paint!  It was so fun to just lay in those oils!  I started with the darkest darks, moved next to the lights, and then quickly filled in all the mid tones - and remembering to simplify those shapes.  When the time was up - I had a quick and loose interpretation of yet another wonderful view in the Penn Valley Park.  This painting makes 504 in 504 days and is now showing at the Buttonwood Art Space :)

No comments:

Post a Comment