Saturday, May 10, 2014

Winding Creek in Penn Valley Park

Winding Creek in Penn Valley Park
Oil on panel, 11x14
Lake Area Quick Paint
Buttonwood Gallery, Kansas City
sold
When I arrive at a quick paint location, I first walk the entire site.  I don't even get my gear out, until I have selected my scene.  I knew it was going to be hot today, so a place in the shade would be best - and the wind was up again, so a windbreak would be in order.  As I walked the lake area of the Penn Valley Park, I started on the east side, then completing the circle around the lake.  Finding a creek flowing to the south from the lake, this composition instantly called my name.  And, I liked the view best from an incline in the full sun, looking towards the sun - and with a good headwind, as well.  So much for seeking comfort!  All that goes out the window when the place calls my name!  Since this was a two hour quick paint, it was important to mark the lights and the darks first, especially when there was so much information to get down on the panel.  Shadows change quickly, and as I was looking towards the sun, there was a backlighting effect on the background brush, as well as a diffusing effect on the distant trees.  The sun laid a golden light on the shallow water, which was challenging to capture.  I have found to trust my eyes in these special situations, and simply paint what I see.  This was my favorite painting of the whole event - and a great way to finish the Penn Valley Plein Air Fest.  Who knew we had such beauty in the heart of Kansas City?  I was born here and have spent most of my life here, and I have never been to this park before this event.  I look forward to participating in the years to come!  This painting is now showing at the Buttonwood Gallery on Main Street in Kansas City, MO.

No comments:

Post a Comment