Saturday, June 21, 2014

French Lilac

after drawing gum removed
 As I manned the Tri-County Art League booth at Arts in the Park in Raymore this morning, I applied Pebeo drawing gum to three different paintings.  I used the plastic palette knives again, visiting and explaining the technique as people came to see what I was up to.  I have always preferred to paint from life - or at least have some kind of photo reference, but with these watercolors, I am just pulling this stuff out of my head.  Memory serves me well on all things floral - as I am an avid gardener with a lifetime of "hands on" experience in my own yard.  There is a long row of these        
French Lilac
Watercolor on paper, 10.5x7
beautiful french lilacs on the road leading to town.  Each year, they burst forth with their truly unique red-pink-purple blooms.  On this painting, I intended to leave more of the whites - to add sparkle, but I found that I just filled more in with color than I meant to.  I have a short, stubby bristle brush that is basically unusable for any paint application - and this was the perfect tool to rub out petal with a little water on the brush, and a paper towel to blot up the color.  Those are the almost ghost like petals.  You must be careful with this - lest you damage the paper by scrubbing too aggressively.  I wanted this painting to have a softer, more atmospheric quality - despite the bold use of color.  I told my daughter that I think I went overboard on this one - and she disagrees!  Oh well, another to look upon tomorrow with fresh eyes - and perhaps it will grow on me.  Painting number 537 in 537 days.

10 comments:

  1. I think your daughter is right. I love the bold colours on this one, and also the ghostlike petals. It's beautiful ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, Tammie, I hope your " fresh eyes" saw what your daughter and the rest if us see! This is absolutely beautiful and striking! The background, or shadowy petals, creates such marvelous interest...and this from memory! It seems totally alive. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ware truly amazing, Tammie. This is so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous!! Fabulous use of dark and light color variations Tammie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful!! i love the colors in this painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely LOVE this one! After taking a step away, I'm sure you changed your mind. Sometimes I need to do the same thing to see my work a little better. I love all of you color choices

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful detailed work on the lilac Tammie, wonderful blend of colours!
    http://cmlk79.blogspot.ca/2014/06/lavender-grey-and-plum.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are just amazing. This is a stunning piece of art.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete