Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Fish Creek Sailboats

Fish Creek Sailboats
Watercolor on paper, 7x5, $100
FIsh Creek Harbor, Wisconsin
Purchase Information
Along the coast of the Door County Peninsula, sailboats of all kinds can be found.  In every town we stopped to paint, these gently floating beauties called out to me!  With all of the paintings I did create, I still wish I could have worked more of them in watercolor.  Until now, I have not sketched anything on my watercolor paper.  With the boats having such specific lines, I did lightly mark the masts and body shapes.  I am also working on hot pressed paper for the first time.  The paper lends an interesting, grainy texture to the color.  Up close, it adds sparkle to the masses. New colors on my palette today - antwerp blue and cobalt teal blue.  One by one, I am trying out some of my newfound treasures - and it is SO fun to experiment with new colors!  This painting makes 575 in 575 days - perhaps I'll work on another sailboat painting from my many new reference photos!

1 comment:

  1. I am enjoying your paintings here. This is another outstanding painting, I can see the water rippling and the yachts moving, and I love the way you use colour in an unexpected way.

    ReplyDelete