Monday, July 7, 2014

WIldflower Whimsey

Wildflower Whimsey
Watercolor on paper, 7x10.5
Another very busy day, completely filled up with family fun and preparations for my parents to arrive tomorrow!  Once again, coming to my easel late, I am playing in the watercolors.  I have recently been longing for their clear, bright colors - and the speed of drying can't be beat, which is important on a day with a very small painting window.  I love the energy I feel when using this medium, it is so different than what I feel when using the oils.  With oils, I feel nostalgic, timeless, reveling in their buttery creaminess.  But when using watercolors, I feel light, bright, and energetic - like I'm throwing caution to the wind.  Acrylics bring out an even different side, like a trail blazer armed with molding paste and knives, and I will bend that medium to my will - and layer those colors on until the painting emerges.  I will soon be plein air painting in Door County, and I am wondering if I can possibly get all three mediums in my french easel.  I am a tight packer, and I refuse to take anything that won't fit in that or my small side bag.  I need to scale down to small, limited palettes for the acrylics and watercolors, to get them on board.  I just don't know what I will feel like using each day, and I want to have the freedom to choose which medium.  I wonder if I can make this work.....painting number 553 in as many days :)

No comments:

Post a Comment