Sunday, August 17, 2014

At the Fountain of Bacchus

At the Fountain of Bacchus
Oil on panel, 8x10
Country Club Plaza
Purchase Information
Again with the theme of nocturnes, today I find me painting the Fountain of Bacchus outside of the Cheesecake Factory on the Plaza.  A beautiful spot to enjoy a meal and soak up the wonderful architecture, this fountain is of the god of wine.  This may be the first time I have not started with a dark toned panel for a nocturne paint.  I feel like I may be a bit too bright with the colors, and probably too tight with the strokes.  Today, I have played a bit more with the new violet, and have used both ultramarine and prussian for the blues.  I have added a different brand of cad yellow deep, another find among my treasures - and it is creamier and lighter than the Windsor Newton brand of cad yellow medium.  I feel like I need to walk away from this one to gain some perspective on it.  Sometimes, just keeping a piece on the easel for a few days is all that is required for those little areas to call out for my attention.  Every day is a learning experience - and every painting, a lesson.  This painting makes 594 in 594 days :)

No comments:

Post a Comment