Monday, August 25, 2014

Coneflowers and Butterfly

Coneflowers and Butterfly
Watercolor on paper, 7x5
As the end of August approaches, I  feel the winding down of the garden.  The days are numbered for these bountiful blooms, and once the frosts come, there will be no more blooms to paint.  So, today, I am painting while I can - and capturing one of the many butterflies in the process!  Staying loose and impressionistic, I resist the urge to sharpen the detail on that butterfly!  Squinting, and painting the masses I see - I do not see sharp lines - but instead see gently swaying color in the wind.  I have used 140lb cold-pressed today, but wish instead I had the 300lb.  This cheerful painting number 602 in 602 days :)

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful flowers! And butterfly. Soon the summer is gone. Good that you have painted flowers while they are still there.

    ReplyDelete