Friday, August 29, 2014

Old Glory in Fish Creek

Old Glory in Fish Creek
Oil on panel, 9x12
Fish Creek, Wisconsin - plein air
Late one afternoon, I started this painting at the Allen Home in Fish Creek, Wisconsin.  The garden was full and abundant, and their flag waved proudly from the porch.  It was such an inviting scene, like a step back into a simpler time.  With only an hour and a half to paint, I blocked in quickly - careful to mark the darkest darks and lightest lights.  I would soon be joining my artist friends for a fish boil - and I could not be late!  I knew I would probably have to set up again the next day at the same hour, but I could not count on having the same light, therefore it was very important to get all prominent colors and values in, however rough the edges.  I did have to return the next day, something I almost never do - but I needed to finish from life.  I had spent most of the day in the same location, painting the glorious flowers, until it was again 3:00 in the afternoon - time to resume this piece.  Working the edges, this time at my leisure, it was an easy task to bring this painting where I wanted it to go.  Just a little slice of vintage America and painting number 606 in as many days :)

1 comment:

  1. I love the story of the painting as much as the painting itself. I felt myself settle as I remembered a slower time. Thanks for the treat this morning and Congrats on #606!

    ReplyDelete