Monday, August 18, 2014

Rose Garden Fountain

Rose Garden Fountain
Acrylic, molding paste on panel, 16x12
Loose Park Rose Garden - Purchase Information
Some paintings require a little time to find their conclusion.  Wanting to sculpt this garden, I added texture with molding paste and palette knife to the pastel sketched composition.  It took longer to sculpt a whole garden scene than it does for a floral study.  I added a second layer to the first, to really add dimension to the foreground roses.  Laying in the layers of open acrylics, I added a gel medium in between.  I brought it to the place where I thought it was finished, but something felt undone.  So, I put in on an easel where I would see it every day, in different light, coming and going.  Days later, I went back in with a couple more layers of paint, warming and cooling the temperatures of the masses.  So glad I took this extra time with the painting, as now I am happy with the mood and feel of this beautiful place.  When I paint on location, it is important to me that the painting reflects my feelings and experience while in that place.  Now, this painting does that.  Painting number 595 in 595 days, and I will be entering this one in the auction to support our Fountain Foundation in Kansas City.........unless I decide to keep it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment