Friday, September 5, 2014

Delphiniums

Delphiniums
Watercolor on paper, 4x6
Years ago, I had the most beautiful delphiniums, until they did not survive a particularly harsh winter.  While in Door County, Wisconsin - these beauties were in full and glorious bloom in Fish Creek.  I have never tried to paint them - and they are a bit complicated!  The leaves are deeply cut and the abundant delicate blooms run up and down the many stalks.  This is painted on the 100% rag paper, which soaked up some of the pale blue tint of the drawing gum.  I do really like the texture of the paper, though.  I think I would like to try some rough paper - but I haven't found any in my supplies, yet!  This is the smallest size I have painted with watercolors so far - only 4x6 inches.  Would you believe I have painted all of these recent watercolors with one brush?  I had one other that I used once or twice in the beginning, but I found my single large round could make every mark I desired.  Now, after 70 paintings or so, this treasured brush is beginning to show a little wear - and I will have to go in search of other round watercolor brushes of like kind.  I had better do some research!  What is more important than brushes to the artist?  This is painting number 613 in as many days, and Day 5 of the 30 Day Painting Challenge.

4 comments: