Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Electric Sunflowers

Electric Sunflowers
Watercolor on paper on board, 6x4
Purchase Information
Yesterday, I spent so much time priming panels for oils and for watercolors.  For the watercolor ones, I first brushed Golden's gel medium on the panel.  Wetting the paper and just letting the shine come off, I then laid that paper over the panel - pressing to assure no air was trapped.  One by one, I stacked these with plastic wrap between them, and weighted them down with Michael's heavy metal poker case!  This morning, I removed them and all were completely dry.  Now, I am experimenting with the paints on this surface.  The first thing I notice is that the surface stays wetter, longer - probably because the back is sealed.  I have more time to drop different colors into the wet areas before they dry.  The paper wet with paint, did not start lifting even the slightest bit from the panel beneath - good adhesion.  I will let this painting dry a day or two, then spray with Krylon gloss Conserve.  Afterwards, I will top it off with the Golden gel medium.  This should give it a waterproof surface that will not need framing under glass.  Experimenting is SO fun!!  Painting number 618 in 618 days and Day 9 in the 30 Day Painting Challenge.

1 comment:

  1. Love the painting - interesting about the paper on the board. I might give that a try!

    ReplyDelete