Friday, September 12, 2014

Sunflower Bouquet

Sunflower Bouquet
Watercolor on paper on board, 4x6
I first prepped this panel by brushing it with acrylic gel medium and laying the wet watercolor paper over it.  Weighing it down to dry, I allowed it to dry overnight.  I then paint as I normally would on it's surface.  What I really like about this technique so far is that the wet areas stay wet longer.  I can go in and blot up color past the drying time of normal paper.  The paper I used on this surface it just 140lb cold-pressed.  I have not yet tried it with my expensive 300lb paper - not until I seal the painting and see that it truly does work for a glass free frame.  Perhaps I'll try that sealing process tomorrow on the first one I did, as it should be completely dry from yesterday.  Two days is the recommended time - according to the research I have turned up.  I used permanent blue (Daniel Smith) for the background color - dropping in a bit of indigo here and there for interest.  This permanent blue has become one of my favorite colors!  I love the depth and clarity of this color.  I have painted these flowers in rather a loose manner - striving for fresh and loose here.  The vase was so fun to paint!  I simply laid in wet yellow color, and dropped in other colors while it was still super wet - giving the appearance of glazes on stoneware.  I am going to do more of this as I work these watercolors!  This painting makes 621 in as many days and Day 12 of the 30 Day Painting Challenge.

2 comments: