Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Sunflowers Two

Sunflowers Two
Watercolor batik on rice paper, 7x5
Purchase here
Surprise!  I'm experimenting again!  I learned this technique last week, right before I had to do a lot of framing and prepping for my Augusta trip.  I had to wait until today to actually try what I had learned!  First, I watercolored in my flowers and foliage and let that dry.  Next, I brushed hot wax over those areas as a resist for the second layer.  After laying in the background and allowing that to dry, I waxed those areas, too.  Next, I crinkled the whole thing up into a tight, waxy ball!  Unwrapping it and laying it flat, the next step is to brush the darker brown watercolor into all those cracks.  This produces an unpredictable effect, with a mind of it's own.  Once done, I place brown paper under and over it and iron the wax out.  It took a few pieces of paper to absorb all of the wax (well, most of it).  What remains is this translucent painting where the wax has permeated the rice paper and changed it's texture.  I LOVE trying new things, and I have already four others in process!  Painting number 632 in 632 days and Day 22 of the 30 Day Painting Challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent experiment with beautiful distressed effects! Thank you so much for sharing the process; I'd love to try it. Is there a name for this technique?

    I've been wanting to experiment with encaustic but, unfortunately, I don't have the necessary equipment to start. It's on my list of things to try, really soon, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the cool effects in this sunflower painting...AWESOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete