Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Sunrise Dinghy

Sunrise Dinghy
Watercolor on paper, 7x9
Rainy days are my absolute favorite for painting in my studio, although not a fav for plein air work!  On this rainy day, I am painting from Kangaroo Lake reference photos I took while in Wisconsin.  I first used my plastic palette knife to lay down the drawing medium as a resist in all light spots.  After that dried, I came in with all of the main color blocks. also allowing that to dry.  Next, I rub the resist off with my rubber cement lifter.  I made this process a little more difficult, because I forgot to remove it for four days - when you should do it within the first day for easy removal.  Ah - such is life!  I am constantly distracted by my real life - and left this one sitting for a few days before pulling it back out today!  Luckily, it was my fabulous 300lb Arches paper, and I was still able to remove the resist.  I may not have been so fortunate with the 140lb.  Totally playing with color - I have stroked on compliments next to one another - to add that extra "pop".  This painting makes 619 in 619 days, and is Day 9 of the 30 Day Painting Challenge.

2 comments: