Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Two Sailboats

Two Sailboats
Watercolor on paper, 6x9
Purchase Information
Today, I am channeling summer by painting sailboats!  There is something so soothing about sailing on the water.  Even sitting beachside and watching these quiet boats glide atop the surface is relaxing.  Living in Missouri, I don't often have the opportunity to catch these vessels on the big water.  So, whenever I am near the water, I take countless reference photos to pull out on a day like today.  I bought some Arches 300lb rough watercolor paper yesterday - and I LOVE it!!  The weight is so substantial - and the texture is delicious!  I think I have found my new favorite paper!  I took this photo with the light to the side, so you can see the tooth in this fabulous paper.  Painting on it is a dream, blotting off a few clouds with a paper towel was almost effortless, and the color mingled and spread in super cool ways!  It is a pricey paper, of course.  I don't know why I do that, but if something grabs my attention - it is almost always an expensive choice.  But - so worth it!!  I also bought a new watercolor brush - a Raphail size 14 round, and I painted almost the entire painting with that one brush.  It is full and holds a lot of paint, but narrows down to a tiny point for the tiny line work - just as a good watercolor brush should!  This painting is Day 3 of the 30 Day Painting Challenge, and my 611th painting in 611 days.

11 comments:

  1. I think this is my fave painting up til now. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous painting - there's something about boats, isn't there??
    Have a fab Friday and Happy PPF!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... love your painting. The water reflections are just perfect.
    Very relaxing and peaceful painting.
    Also great to read the details of the materials you used.
    Enjoy your weekend

    ReplyDelete
  4. breathtaking Tammie- I love the scene, sailboats and the whole ocean theme!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what great depth and all those colors are amazing!

    Tam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammie this is simply beautiful. It is amazing that when we find something that is pretty perfect it is at the top of the budget. I think it is so worth it.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tammie I am loving how you used color on this piece....love how vibrant and alive it comes...great movement too... LOVE IT!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  8. the paper really does suit your work... I love the hot pressed heavy paper... I love a smooth surface, but maybe I need to give the rough paper another go... xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, that water ... How you do that is magical! Wonderful work, love the colours too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, wow...this just fills my eyes. I love this painting--it is enchanting and filled with magic.

    ReplyDelete