Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Golden Glow

Golden Glow
Watercolor, ink, hot wax on masa, 8x5
purchase here
I am in Ohio for my mom's knee replacement surgery.  As we drove to the hospital this morning, the early morning light was bathing the autumn landscape in gold!  Taking a few reference photos, I then sketched a few paintings out on rice paper while my mom rested between therapy sessions.  This painting is from their side yard - with the sun lighting the golden leaves and grass alike!  Later, while she and my dad were napping, I painted them with the small watercolor palette that I take with me when plein air painting.  I forgot my water container and used one of the pill cups for my water!  I was able to paint the first two layers on, and wax, paint, iron, and paint again when I got back to their house.  This was a good use of time - because I HAD to watch the World Series game with my hometown boys playing (the Royals!!) - and this kept my hands busy!  This is painting number 669 in as many days - and boy do I hope we win!!

2 comments:

  1. It's lovely! I think this technique was perfect for representing the early morning light through the trees. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your watercolors pieces are beautiful and so much inspiring. stunning work! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete