Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Morning at the Milk Barn

Morning at the Milk Barn
Oil on panel, 6x6
Today, I am studying the morning light as it hits the fields and milk barn before me.  I have a real tendency to make those building lines hard, so here - I soften them.  The milk barn melts into the landscape without those hard edges - especially on the side of the barn.  The hackberries are turning golden, as is the field, and it is tricky to capture that color with the bright morning light behind them.  I used one brush to paint the whole thing, paying close attention to colors and values.  I feel the need to really work on color, and the balance between what I see and what I feel.  This milk barn is so full of memories, both of my childhood and those of my children, it is always a joy to paint.  So many of my trees are showing their beautiful fall plumage right now - I only hope I can get to them all!  Painting number 661 in 661 days - now time to catch up on my work!

1 comment: