Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Rainbow Sailing Batik

Rainbow Sailing Batik
India ink, watercolor, wax on masa
purchase here
Today's experiment?  Masa paper!  It is a little thicker than the rice papers I have been using, which is a good thing when it comes to wadding the waxed paper up into a ball.  When the wax does not crack enough in the first stage, I wad it up again, and sometimes a third time until the paint will be able to reach the paper's surface in the cracks.  There is a smooth and rough side to all of these rice papers - be sure to paint on the rough side for better workability.  I used the hot wax for the resists in the water using a small, round bristle brush.  Once you did any brush in wax - it will always be dedicated to that purpose. There is just no coming back from the damage of wax on brushes.  The wax permeates this paper so much that if I flip it over, the back side looks exactly like the front side - only the image is reversed!  Crazy!  I painted today from reference that I took out at the Perry Yacht Club on a race day.  I have so many wonderful photos to work from - and this technique must be done in the studio.  There are no electrical outlets in the great outdoors for hot irons and little crockpots!  Painting number 640 in as many days and Day 30 of the 30 Day Painting Challenge!  That sure went by fast!

13 comments:

  1. that sounds and looks like a great technique. Really love that colourful boat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammie, this is beautiful artwork and interesting technique. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful painting, I could look at this for hours. Sounds a very interesting technique. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your new technique. The painting is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The paint is gorgeous love the new technique, I have some masa paper so thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow your painting looks like a stained glass window......perfect. Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your new way to paint. The sail boat is very good in the water element.Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting to try a new technique... I've never tried it but the results look fantastic
    Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your painting is wonderful. I just want to look and keep on looking. This painting fills my eyes to the brim. You are an incredible artist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous! I love the color and texture created from the resist!! Such a great painting!! Thanks for sharing your process too! I clicked to enlarge and it's really wonderful!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous painting in a gerat technique!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tammie this is fabulous. I love your experimenst.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so lovely! I would like a painting like this into my yacht. After I'll get it for yacht painting, I am planning to sail for Malta https://reflection.com.gr/

    ReplyDelete