Saturday, November 29, 2014

Great Horned Owl

Great Horned Owl
Oil on panel, 6x4
purchase here
Today is my 700th painting in 700 days!  Wowza!  It is hard to believe that a simple challenge to me in an email turned into a life changing event!  The way I think about painting is different than it was before "daily painting".  I get up knowing that sometime during that day, I will complete a painting.  I have already looked for my best painting window, and have probably already thought of an idea or two to paint.  Like brushing my teeth and washing my face, it has become automatic.  Sure, there are some days when I don't feel like painting - as with housework, cleaning, etc - but I do it anyway.  And, the simple act is therapeutic.  I have learned to paint through family crisis, often drawing in the hospital while I waited bedside for news - and the motion consoled me as I waited.  Before "daily painting", I was only a happy painter - not wanting near the brushes when life started throwing wrenches my way.  Not anymore, I paint everyday regardless - and have learned so much through the process.  Every day is a lesson - and it is my artistic "fix" that keeps me moving forward.  Now, it is time to start getting the Christmas stuff out of the attic - and hanging the lights on the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment